Friday 13 February 2015




For make your mark I have decided to produce a short video that shows me remaking my top 3 album covers for a song. I have done this to ‘Tell don’t sell’, which was part of the brief, to share your own personal story.

I have portrayed this through the use of pictures, collage and music. Music plays a major role in my life, whether I am just walking to the shops or doing University work. Here I have tried to portray myself through three songs, all quite different. With different genres, tempos and singers. Each song describes a little moment for my life. I have chosen three of my favorite songs that relate back to a moment in my life. Such as the first song was one I heard when I was younger and reminds me of the moments I started to like hip-hop music. The second is by an artist who has always been a favorite of mine and since the moment she came on the music scene I have been a follower. The third song reminds me of a holiday which was taken a few years ago and  we traveled through portugal

The design aspect of this is by the use of simple typed text as a narrative. To inform the viewer on what they are watching and what I am aiming to do within the montage. I start the video with a small illustration of a vinyl and the idea of what I am going tot do throughout my work. I have chosen a vinyl because I use small vinyl sleeves in my video to recreate the images on to. I have done this because the images on vinyl sleeves are a piece of artwork and can be looked at in detail when they are in big format.

The use of collage/ montage is because I enjoy collage a lot. Collage is a technique I have used within a few pieces of work and I enjoy using it to create detailed pieces with minimal effort. The use of using found objects was because perfection can’t be recreated. So I used the found objects as a challenge. Some pieces turned out well where as some I found challenging to put together. This is shown in my collage for Eliza Doolittle, the piece is sparse in graphic information. I listened to the music to find inspiration for the designs. Dependent on what the song was like would depend on the out come of the design almost like Kandinsky’s work. Using video was very new for me and doing this has broadened my artist skills. I have learnt how to add effects that are pre-set in to the programs or create my own with the tools provided on the program. It has been a learning curve for me. There are areas I would like to improve and change within the piece. Such as the image quality and how I shot the piece. I would have used proper recording devices rather than a DSLR because it would have been easier to capture the image. I believe this is something I will change in the future as I create more videos, to enhance the images I have captured I have put them in to black and white. Another aspect I would change about my piece is the duration. The clips are 2 minutes each but I would refine them to the highlights and make it more interesting for the viewer. When filming the piece I should have had more materials ready to use to prevent stumbling and wasted time within the footage.


My influence for my work was Barbara Ryan I enjoy the composition of her work. Where she uses montage and edited clips within her video to explain what she is doing and the message she is sending out. Barbara uses clips of Twitter and other social networks to show who was connected and viewing her work whilst she did the challenge. Barbara’s message is strong and helps viewers to explore their creative side and put their thoughts in to action. Without a challenge within art how can anything new be created?

No comments:

Post a Comment